Summer is here and it's time to beat the heat. When I'm looking to cool down I definitely gravitate towards anything having to do with the water. Ocean, lakes, creeks, it's all good in my opinion and I'm a water lover at heart. Here are some options for staying cool this summer that might just help take an edge off the heat.
Yoga to Stay Cool
- Keep up the hydration. - Your body depends on water to survive. Every cell, tissue, and organ in your body needs water to work properly. Try mixing it up by adding herbs, fruits, or veggies to your water for something a little more interesting. I've been loving peppermint & lemon balm-infused water lately, both of which are cooling herbs.
- Find some water and get wet. - submerging in water is a surefire way to cool off. But if you don't have any close by grab a spray bottle and fill it with ice water for a refreshing spritz!
- Sitali Breath - In Sanskrit, the word sitali means “cooling,” and with this breath, you'll notice it right away. As you inhale the moisture of your tongue makes your mouth, and whole body, feel just a little bit cooler. Sit in a comfortable position with a tall spine. Breathe in and out, take a few moments to just notice your breath and any airflow that may be present around you. Stick your tongue out and roll the outer edges together into a tube shape. Take a long inhalation through the tube in your tongue. Retain the breath for a beat. After inhaling, draw your tongue back into your mouth, close your lips and exhale through your nose. Try for somewhat even inhale/exhales. Do this 10 times, working up to more as you get comfortable
- Starfish Pose - This is a great option for allowing air to flow freely around your body. Simply lay on your back and spread your legs and arms wide like a starfish. If you have a bolster or pillow you could place it under your spine to create a bit of a backbend and upper chest/shoulder release. Close your eyes and get comfortable. Take a few moments to scan through your body to notice how everything is feeling.
- Savasana - When it’s especially hot, you need extra rest to rejuvenate your body and your brain. To make it extra cooling, place a cool washcloth over your head or even a damp sheet over your body (you'll be surprised how effective this is!!) Lie down on your back on a mat in a completely neutral and comfortable position. Let your toes turn out to the sides. Arms by your sides with palms facing up. Close your eyes and relax your jaw, eyes, and forehead. Just rest. Enjoy the cool stillness and carry it with you throughout your day.
Stay cool out there my friends.